What's the difference between a stove?

blogs: the away message of the future

Wednesday, June 7

here I am.



I'm in Boulder. that's in Colorado. I live here now. this is my new home. I'm sort of freaking out.

the journey began bright and early Monday morning when I set off from Birmingham and picked up my accomplice for the trip, Gabers. I can't thank him enough for sharing the driving, entertaining me, and keeping me sane over the last three days.

the route took us through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska. while in Iowa (I think) we saw a sign on the highway for a Middle East Conflict memorial and decided we had to stop. it wasn't until we had driven a few miles from the interstate through a sleepy little town that we realized what was meant by Middle East Conflict, we're not talking Israel here but instead Desert Storm and Iraq. why didn't we think of that before? we were in such shock that there would be a memorial to Israel-Palestine conflict that we didn't consider any other (more logical) options. oh well. we stopped and took some pictures anyway.



we stopped over Monday night in Lincoln, NE, home of the University of Nebraska and their Cornhuskers. we stayed at a lovely Best Western with pool, spa, wireless internet and continental breakfast (though by the time we made it to the breakfast bar there were only english muffins left). we ventured to the campus that night to explore and have some dinner.

Tuesday came, and with it the rest of Nebraska. an hour or two after setting off we began seeing signs for Fort Kearney, of Oregon Trail fame, and Gabe was insistent that we take a look. it's neat to see a real live place after you've been there so many times electronically. we chose not to hunt for food or trade any of our wagon tongues but instead took this picture.



we arrived in Boulder at around 4:45 Mountain time (I'm two hours off for future reference) and met the young man from whom I'm subletting my room for the next couple of months. we commenced unpacking my fully-loaded car (in the 90+ degree heat mind you) and then went over to campus for a walk to check it out. the evening ended with a late dinner and a run to Wal-Mart for some miscellaneous necessities (no Meijer out here, a big adjustment).

today we explored the campus a bit more, strolled the Pearl Street pedestrian mall, Gabe bought his requisite Colorado t-shirt, I brainstormed employment ideas, and then it was time to take Gabe to the airport for his departure. on the way there I learned an important Mapquest lesson: if you are routed via toll roads, always select the 'No tolls' option and update the route to check how much time/distance is added in avoiding pay-roads. we discovered that E470 to Denver airport costs an astounding $6 (2 bucks at each of three toll plazas over a 15-mile stretch). on the way back, I was slightly distracted when Gabe called to tell me his flight was delayed an hour due to thunderstorm activity in the area and I missed the exit for the world's most expensive road. instead, I managed to get back to Boulder without paying a dime (sans gas costs) and when I checked Mapquest upon my return it turns out I only added a mile to my journey. I'll never take that road again.

so here I am, all alone in Boulder (because neither of my roommates have been home since I arrived last night and I haven't met them yet, seriously). this is the start of a new life for me I guess. or, according to the fortune cookie I got at China King the evening prior to my arrival: '[I am] only starting on [my] path to success.' let's hope so.

tomorrow I begin the job search.

hugs and long-distance kisses,
DG

p.s. we also saw this in Lincoln:

2 Comments:

At June 7, 2006 at 10:24 PM, Blogger Muzachary said...

you paint a nice picture of a new life, in a new town, with no one around. i miss you already (i talked to you on the phone about 3 minutes ago). boulder is the place to be my brother. it's gonna be great. LET it be great!

 
At June 12, 2006 at 8:01 AM, Blogger Ian said...

On the subject of fortune cookies. The "you will find true love on Flag Day fortune cookie" expires Wednesday night before you have wait another year for true love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home