What's the difference between a stove?

blogs: the away message of the future

Sunday, April 10

April showers may bring flowers

I don't like having to turn down fliers from people on campus. I'm not quite sure why so many people at such a liberal university enjoy wasting paper. Isn't there some other way to get the word out about events without 'killing a tree'? I hear this e-mail thing is pretty popular with the kids, why not try that?

the other day I had just turned down some religious literature and was making my way across the diag thinking about this annoyance. I was then approached by a member of the men's glee club wearing a tuxedo who asked: 'free money?'. I smiled and said no thanks. my ears were plugged with music and I assume he hoped I wasn't listening. this interaction made me a bit less upset about the flyer problem. I still think it is a waste of time and money though.

ttfn,
dg

2 Comments:

At April 12, 2005 at 7:34 PM, Blogger Rubes said...

a practical solution from an engineer. i presume nobody fliers (verb) or quarter-sheets (another noun-->verb) on north campus. now that the weather is better, i'm sure that the students enjoy fliering in the diag. in response to your solution, would you prefer more spam?

 
At April 12, 2005 at 9:40 PM, Blogger David said...

fliers are seen on north campus. as are daily inserts which are dutifully strewn about on floors near newspaper racks and in lecture halls, but that's a different problem altogether.

I guess I would rather more spam, Apple Mail does a darn good job of filtering out any unwanted email I receive. and I believe some of it wouldn't be spam, if the sending party has something worthwhile to say. the way I see it electrons are cheap, but trees and the associated cost of collecting, throwing away, and even recycling paper are not as negligible. if we're going to live in a (semi-)paperless society, lets find a way to make it work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home